Or is it ….?
By the time most of my clients come to me they already suspect something is holding them back from being more visible, whether online or offline, even though it’s clearly their time to shine.
Many of them justify their habit of hiding out with phrases like ‘I’m not ready yet’ or ‘I don’t know enough yet’ or ‘no-one will pay me for this’ or ‘……’ fill in the blank.
But for a few there’s something more subtle going on. There’s a part of them that does not feel safe to acknowledge their gifts … because that would mean standing out and shining. And ‘They’ wouldn’t like it!
So who are ‘They’?
In childhood ’They’ might be:
- A ‘difficult’ sibling who needs to be centre stage to be kept on an even keel
- A sibling with learning difficulties, whose smallest achievement attracts huge amounts of praise as though they’re the cleverest person in the world
- Or simply a less able sibling with an over-anxious or over-protective parent
All of which is painful for the one not being acknowledged. Nothing they ever do is enough to earn that lovely warm shower of praise and approval from the parents. Which doesn’t feel fair and can lead to a lot of anger and resentment, and ultimately be very discouraging and damaging to self-esteem.
Meaning is everything
As in every area of life, it’s not what actually happens to us that really counts so much as the meaning we give to it at the time that it happens. Those meanings then become our truth and we create our lives from those templates and through those filters.
So the unacknowledged child might conclude that:
- ‘Allowing myself to shine hurts other people – I mustn’t do it’ – and as an adult unconsciously refuses to shine. Or that
- ‘I should always put others’ feelings first and I don’t deserve to be praised’ – and the adult feels uncomfortable receiving recognition and brushes it off. Or that
- ’I’m always last in line, I’ll never be centre stage and I just have to get used to it’ (which is a great vibration to be sending out into the Field in Law of Attraction terms!). Or that
- ‘What’s the point, no-one ever notices what I do anyway’. Or that
- ‘I’ll be a target for their envy, they’ll try and shoot me down, it’s safer to dampen down and not shine my light’
Any of these beliefs resonating with you?
And if so, do you see how they could be running in the background right now and holding you back from showing up 100% in your business and life?
It’s a bummer, hey?
Awareness is the first step to freedom
If you believe this could be you, awareness itself is the first step to freedom. And it’s rarely enough to free yourself from those old habits of thinking and feeling. You’ll likely need to do some clearing work to re-programme yourself for success – which inevitably involves more shining.
Over to you – is it your time to shine?
What do you notice when you consider this? What are the downsides to shining, being more visible and being successful, either for you or someone you care about?
Please share with us in the Comments below.
Want help uncovering hidden blocks to shining?
Go here now and apply for one of the limited number of free Discovery Clarity Action Sessions I offer each month:
In this valuable session I’ll lead you through a series of simple exercises to get to the roots of your resistance to shining and help you devise a plan to clear it.
The session is completely free of charge and without obligation – so you have nothing to lose but your blocks 🙂
Here’s to you shining!